Sunday, July 5, 2009

Farmer's Market Intervention

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Clare Luce Booth(1903-1987) was a well known writer who wrote oft-quoted aphorisms such as, "No good deed goes unpunished." This aphorism has been one that I have spent many hours contemplating. Based on these contemplations I find myself questioning my own intentions. When I commit an act that I consider to be a good deed, am I searching for a return or some form of positive karma? Who am I trying to impress? Would I do these things if nobody would ever find out? Do I suffer from the Hero Syndrome, a phenomenon affecting people who seek recognition? Is it an altruistic deed? What am I looking for in return, or am I honestly looking to relieve the suffering of others?

The other week, I sat for a quarter of an hour thinking about this as a bicyclist's battery light drained. Should I overstep her personal space and flick the switch? Would I be crossing the line of bicycle etiquette? Or would I be saving her from a dangerous ride home in the dark? What risks are involved? Bicycle lights are one of those things that many bicyclists obsess over. They are fairly easy to steal, but are also a bit of a burden if they are to be removed every time you leave your bike. There are lighting systems that are well over a couple hundred dollars. This particular light was on the low-end, but on a dark road it could be worth it's weight in gold.

If I chose to flick the switch there would have been the possibility of a really awkward moment, just nano-seconds after I switched off her light. She would walk up and notice that I had invaded the personal space of her bike, her light would be off and any good samaritan explanation would seem unbelievable. The fact that I was uncertain of my own intentions would have produced a facial expression that would cause suspicion. What is the right thing to do? What would be my punishment for this good deed? Or would my punishment be a headline on the front page of the local paper that reported the death of a cyclist from the lack of adequate safety lights?

Regardless of what intentions I had or what my punishment would be, I chose to flick the switch and shut off the light. If not for the support of Operation Hometown Heroes, I do not believe I would have had the courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment