Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Intervention: You Ain't Keepin' It Real

In the restaurant industry, there is an ethical practice that is called truth of the menu. This entails that the restauranteur is obligated to provide an accurate description of ingredients or products that are to be consumed by the customer. This is an essential aspect to our dining safety. It becomes essential for those of us with food allergies, or with restricted diets. It is also an important factor towards being responsible consumers. When a food item is presented as Certified Organic, Cage Free-Free Range, or Free Trade, we have confidence in knowing that we are getting what we pay for.

In other industries this is not the case. A time or two I have received a not-so-great haircut from Great Clips. Another time I received a losing donut at Winchell's and a less than more better burger at Mo Better Meatty Meat Burgers(now closed). My favorite example has to be BEST Products(1957-1997), which has been closed now for more than a decade.

My hometown has been infected by this type of overly boastful marketing. Just around the corner from where I live there is a storage facility that claims to be an A+. From my observations over the last two years, it is my opinion that this grading is inaccurate. I have noticed the front security gate unlatched late at night and acts of vandalism scattered throughout the property. There is often empty alcohol containers laying about and on a few occasions I have seen the police on the premises doing some sort of investigating.

It is time that we, as consumers, take a stand against local businesses that do not keep it real.


No comments:

Post a Comment